- 260g quick cooking oats (130g for grinding into oat flour)
- 110g brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 114g melted butter
- 250g blueberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ lemon zest and juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180⁰C. Prepare a 8x8 inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving overhang on both sides.
2. Using a blender or food processor, grind half the oats into a fine powder (oat flour).
3. In a large bowl, mix together the oat flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the melted butter and mix until it is thoroughly combined.
4. Transfer two-thirds of the oat mixture into the baking dish and press it down firmly to create a solid crust. Set it aside.
5. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract, lemon zest and juice. Simmer, stirring often, until the blueberries have burst and the mixture begins to thicken up, about 5-6 minutes.
6. Pour the blueberry mixture over the oat base and spread evenly. Crumble the remaining oat mixture on top of the blueberry mixture in an even layer.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
8. Allow the oat bars to cool at room temperature for 30minutes and then in the refrigerator for another 30 minutes. Once they have set completely, cut them into square bars.
9. Enjoy immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.